Thursday, 1 October 2015

Tidmarsh, Pangbourne and Sulham

Sulham and Pangbourne Area

Walks in my local area just west of Reading. Autumn 2009
Snow 2009
Spring 2012
August 2012
Fungi 2012
Bluebells 2014
Summer 2014
Autumn 2014
Autumn 2015

After seeing so many lovely fungi last week I thought I must dash out and see what I had missed in my local backyard - an opportunity to walk from home again and not use the car. As it turned out I needn't have worried, there was not much evidence of fungi to be seen around here - as yet. The ground was much drier and the beech woodlands seem to still believe it is summer. here is a map of the 11 mile walk:

I walked down through Sulham Woods down towards Moor Copse. On the way I saw a solitary Red Admiral butterfly feeding on ivy, on the same bush a hornet was hunting the bees and flies that were feeding on the nectar. Close to the Copse's fringes was a bird of prey perched just about in view, I think it was a kestrel.

kestrel

Quite a few plants were still in flower in the BBOWT reserve including comfrey, corn mint and hedge woundwort.

hedge woundwort

I made my way to the village of Tidmarsh and for once I found the church of St. Lawrence open. The south door is one of the most amazing early Norman creations with a 'face' on the top.

Tidmarsh church door

Inside the most unusual feature of note is the semi-octagonal chancel, built 1220.

Tidmarsh church chancel

During restoration the original 12th century font was discovered and restored to its rightful place. It is a splendid one that I now need to add to my collection of local church fonts.

Tidmarsh church font

I then walked up to Bere Court Road through fields that were being ploughed, with Red Kites wheeling around overhead. Along the way there were many 'late' flowers including strawberries.

strawberry flower

At Pangbourne I visited the church of St. James the Less, one of only 26 churches dedicated to this saint. The interior is rather disappointing compared to Tidmarsh - a bit too dark and gloomy. Standing in front of the church in the photograph is Church Cottage, where Kenneth Grahame, author of Wind in the Willows, lived for a while.

Pangbourne church

In the churchyard was a butterfly sunning itself. It was a Meadow Brown, which I would not normally take much notice of, as there are normally so many more exciting butterflies to choose from. However the last few walks I have seen rather few - on this occasion just one Red Admiral, two Speckled Woods and a couple of Cabbage Whites.

meadow brown butterfly

Also in the churchyard was a fine tree showing its shiny red bark. I think it's a Tibetan cherry.

red bark

I went down to the River Thames and there were a number of birds of its waters: great crested grebes, mallards, canada geese and these birds which looked like kittiwakes - but I think they are black-headed gulls in their winter plumage - without a black head!

kittiwake

The toll bridge over the river at Whitchurch has been rebuilt at great expense; unfortunately the expense is now being passed on to the bridge users. It now costs 60p a time to cross. You can see the church at Whitchurch in the background.

Whitchurch toll bridge

I retraced my steps to Pangbourne and took a snap of The George Hotel, which apart from the church is one of oldest buildings in Pangbourne and is reputed to be haunted. It stands on the lane down to the ferry and ford which were in use long before the bridge was built in 1792.

George Hotel,Pangbourne

Walking back to Sulham Woods I at last found some fungi worth photographing. I think this is Golden Scalycap (Pholiota aurivella).

Golden Scalycap,Pholiota aurivella

On the fringe of the woods I found an attractive late flowering plant : Nettle leaved bellflower.

nettle leaved bellflower

So far no views, so I end with a view from Sulham Woods looking down to Sulham.

Sulham view

No comments: